Sunday, June 26, 2022

Bailando con las Estrellas

Dancing with the Stars has the exact same set in every country I have been to. Just needed to take a moment to comment on that hilarity. But actually, it is really neat that countries like Georgia and Costa Rica, which have a strong dance culture, include those styles  of dance in the show.

So to catch up. I had a wonderful time in New York, though I am still firmly on the side of "I can visit, but never live here." Seeing Bubbe up and walking and spending time with her after a not so minor battle with Covid was HUGE. Also awesome, was seeing my siblings, and getting to spend time, though less time than I intended when I got buses and trains a bit confused and ended up who knows where... One of my favorite parts was (prepare to be SHOCKED) the Museum of Math, or MO MATH as it says above the door. Mi hermano marveloso and I had a blast exploring. 

Velocity was MUCH harder than distance

I LOVE flying at sunset
Sof-kl-sof, it was time to get to JFK from lower Manhattan on the Hudson. Not an easy process. But I am my father's daughter and always aim to get to the airport absurdly early so all was well. I got there with my limbs and bags intact. The flight was easy and beautiful.


Finally, I arrived in Costa Rica, got my first stamp in my new passport, and was met by the grandparents of my host family as well as one of the sons. None of them had a lot of English, so I started my immersion in the Spanish Language IMMEDIATLY. When we got home, it was clear that these folks were my kind of people. We talked and talked and talked, and FINALLY went to bed around 11:30 PM, which to my body was actually 1:30 AM... To say waking up ready for spanish world this morning is to lie.

But ready or not, today's orientation was a great time. First, I got to feel a little less badly about missing the Equator trip of the last two weeks. But also, I had an amazing time meeting the other teachers in the program's week 1 in Costa Rica. I also got to explore Santo Domingo de Heredia a bit, first with the program and then on a walk with my host family. When they say Heredia is the provincia de flores, they aren't kidding. They are EVERYWHERE in every color. Here are some of my favorites from today:

A LOT of coffee here.

Is this Jasmine? It blooms at night.


















  On the walk with my family, I learned that just about every            house on the block belonged to someone related to the   Grandmother of the house. Later when one of the daughters   
 invited me to see her house she showed me a block that is       mostly her husband's family. But that was ABSOLUTLY not all   that we saw at her house. We went over after the sun set so that I   could see the place all lit up. And it was BEAUTIFUL. The family hosts events on the property, and there is a great indoor eating/dance space, a covered outdoor dance/eating space, an outdoor open dance eating space SURROUNDED by beautiful plants and trees. She took me around to the different trees and showed me fruits I never even knew existed. I am so excited to go back in the day time to see the flowers and fruits more clearly. But the best was last, a trip to a family art space which had a 3rd floor from which you not only see San Jose very clearly lit up, but also what seemed like a crown in the mountains, which were mostly the lit up churches and basilicas all along the mountain paths. I didn't take a picture of that (Honestly a picture would not have done it justice) but I did manage to snap this one on our walk.
San Jose and the Mountains beyond

Tomorrow is the first day of classes. Normally on Mondays, the mornings are our own, but to start us off, we are going to have another full day together. I already have my lunch, the second half of the GIANT burrito one of the daughters made me for dinner (everyone else got a half, I got a whole one. Between the Grandmother's delicious bread (and food in general), the daughter's delicious food and sweets, and the brother bringing me more of everything, I am not going to have a difficult time eating here :)

In another post, I will introduce the family, but I want to check in with them about how first. Now, it is PAST my bedtime, but I knew if I didn't get this in now, I would miss it, once the whirlwind of classes begin.

Hasta Luego

No comments:

Post a Comment