Thursday, April 26, 2012

Plagues (not really though...)


Do frogs chirp? Well, they do in Georgia! When I returned from Berlin, I started hearing a new sound that seemed to come from the house across the street. I thought it was some sort of a new bird or Georgian animal. It was a Georgian animal, but it was not only found in my neighbors house. As I was walking past the school, I heard the noise again, and looked in the gutter and noticed that there were frogs. LOTS of frogs. They have taken over Georgia, and, if people who were here last summer can be trusted, they are here to stay. Fortunately for me, they all hang out way down the street on my street, so I hear them as I walk home, but never from my home. I took some video from the corner of the school, which is where I hear them the loudest.
(again having some issues with the uploading of the video, so it will be put in at a later date... Fixed thanks to Mc Ds)

Speaking of frogs, and plagues, and passover... What does pascal mean? Pascal lamb and pesakh, these are all words I have grown up on, but have no idea what they mean. I bring it up because as I type, I have no internet and can't look it up, and because of a great Easter cake they make here called “pasqa”, which has to come from the word pascal, right? My host grandmother, Margo, made a whole batch that we finally finished off a couple days ago, but yesterday she made a whole new batch. It is great!

2 comments:

  1. In Judaism the Paschal Lamb refers to the lamb served as part of the passover meal. I believe it is symbolic of the lamb slaughtered so that it's blood could be smeared on the lintel post to tell the angel of death to "pass over" Jewish homes and not take the first born as one of the plagues on Pharaoh.

    Christians believe that the animal sacrifices prescribed by the law of Moses, especially the sacrifice of a lamb without blemish, point toward the great and final sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the "Lamb of God". Therefore, the term"Paschal Lamb" as used by Christians is a title used to refer to Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pascal is related to the Hebrew Pesach, meaning passing over or guarding.
    XXXOOO
    Mame

    ReplyDelete